In the XVIIIth Century, France was the flagship of fragrances, with Grasse and Paris as its leading Places. Horses were the pride and glory of Versailles.
Perfume came into its own with the court of Louis XV, named “La cour parfumee”(the perfumed court),renowned for its scent extravagances. Every day, the king requested a different scent for his apartments and streams of aromatic scents sprang from the royal fountains.
In 1743, in memory of his great-grandfather Louis XIV, Louis XV commissioned Guillaume Coustou to sculpt his famous masterpiece for the grounds of the Chateau de Marly (Marly Castle). This magnificent work of art, known as “The Marly Horses”, earned a place on the Champs Elysees Avenue in the heart of Paris in 1974, where it can still be admired today.
Parfums de Marly revives the spirit of lavish receptions and festivities held in the Chateau de Marly, for the delight of members of the Royal Court and foreign dignitaries.
Through its original concept, Parfums de Marly rekindles the spirit of fragrances from the splendour of the XVIIIth Century, when the finest perfumes were created for King Louis XV as a tribute of the prestigious horse races he so fervently admired.